If you have come to this page, you already have the files to run your Qatar 2022 World Cup Sweepstakes / Office Pool (if not see more here).
Table of contents
- Knock Out Phase Points
- Mac’s and the Knockout stage
- Updates as at 21 Nov 2022
- Remove unused player scores
- Disable Auto Updates for Macs
- World Cup Sweepstakes- Who this is for
- Updated World Cup Team Ranking and Suggested Adjustments
- YouTube How to make your Qatar 2022 predictions
- Sweepstakes instructions for the player (text and screenshots)
Knock Out Phase Points
Note that the points for the Knock Out phase of the Qatar 2022 World Cup will only update once all the group matches are finished.
Mac’s and the Knockout stage
If you are using an Apple Mac and have needed to disable the automatic updates (see below), then for the knockout phase you will need to continue to update the ‘KnockOutWeb’ sheet manually. The team names with rank are quite important to the spreadsheet so we recommend you look at how we do it on the webpage (Knock Out part of Qatar 2022 World Cup). Note that points for the knockout phase will only update once all group matches are finished.
Updates as at 21 Nov 2022
Note- due to the change in order of matches (Qatar playing before Netherlands) the Overall Points Chart won’t be showing until the Netherlands match is entered. You can test it by manually entering a score for that match.
Remove unused player scores
If you have not used all the player sheets, especially if there are lots of 0-0 draws in the matches, player sheets that are unused may appear in the rankings. To stop this (once you are sure that you won’t need any more players sheets as this has no undo), you can go to the Overall Pnts sheets and delete the contents ONLY of unused cells in column N ONLY as shown below
Disable Auto Updates for Macs
If you are using a Mac the automatic updates may not be working (some users are saying that Mac OS Monterey is working but we cannot confirm this). If you have already filled the players in, you can switch off the automatic update of scores (you will need to do it manually from now on) by performing the following steps (save as a new version and keep the original just in case).
Go to the sheet ‘ActualsResultsWeb’, right click on Qatar, and choose the ‘Data Range Properties’ as shown below
Untick the ‘Save Query definition’ option
You will need to do the same thing with the KnockOutWeb sheet.
World Cup Sweepstakes- Who this is for
This page is for the players in a sweepstakes to be able to update there team rankings to affect the chances of any team progressing in the World Cup when using the auto predict feature of the sweepstakes spreadsheet.
To see how to capture your predictions for the World Cup Sweepstakes watch the Video Clip lower down the page.
Updated World Cup Team Ranking and Suggested Adjustments
Below the list of teams and their ranking points that you will see in your player spreadsheet. We have shown the adjustments we would recommend you make to have a better chance of your spreadsheet correctly predicting the outcomes of the 2022 World Cup as we don’t think the official rankings reflect the actual chances of the teams (form, player retirements etc)
Ranking with suggested adjustments and Adj 1- type them into your spreadsheet and then run the auto predict feature (see more below).
|TEAM||Original Pnts||Adj 1||Adj 2||Adj 3||New Points|
|Brazil||1 833||0||0||0||1 833|
|Belgium||1 827||(168)||0||0||1 659|
|France||1 790||37||0||0||1 827|
|Argentina||1 765||(3)||0||0||1 762|
|England||1 762||28||0||0||1 790|
|Spain||1 709||56||0||0||1 765|
|Portugal||1 675||(16)||0||0||1 659|
|Mexico||1 659||(71)||0||0||1 588|
|Netherlands||1 659||16||0||0||1 675|
|Denmark||1 654||0||0||0||1 654|
|Germany||1 651||59||0||0||1 709|
|Uruguay||1 636||15||0||0||1 651|
|Switzerland||1 635||(2)||0||0||1 634|
|USA||1 634||(50)||0||0||1 584|
|Croatia||1 621||15||0||0||1 636|
|Wales||1 588||(41)||0||0||1 548|
|Senegal||1 584||51||0||0||1 635|
|Iran||1 564||(120)||0||0||1 445|
|Australia||1 562||(63)||0||0||1 500|
|Japan||1 553||(2)||0||0||1 552|
|Morocco||1 552||2||0||0||1 553|
|Serbia||1 548||74||0||0||1 621|
|Poland||1 544||20||0||0||1 564|
|South Korea||1 520||(16)||0||0||1 503|
|Costa Rica||1 503||(116)||0||0||1 387|
|Tunisia||1 500||(47)||0||0||1 453|
|Cameroon||1 480||64||0||0||1 544|
|Canada||1 479||0||0||0||1 479|
|Ecuador||1 453||110||0||0||1 562|
|Saudi Arabia||1 445||(3)||0||0||1 441|
|Qatar||1 441||39||0||0||1 480|
|Ghana||1 387||132||0||0||1 520|
YouTube How to make your Qatar 2022 predictions
Sweepstakes instructions for the player (text and screenshots)
When the players receive their spreadsheets they need to make their predictions. On the ‘Player’ sheet (shown below)
- (1) Enter their name in cell A1 (if the group has similarly named people use a unique name)
- (2) & (3) Enter their predictions of the scores in the blue cells (column G and I)
- (4) As they enter their scores the group standings in column O will be updated so that they can see who is going to progress to the next round (top 2 of each group).
- (5) New feature allowing players to let Excel, using the teams rankings, predict the match outcomes. More of this later.
- Note: per the competition rules, teams on the same number of points will be separated by (in order) comparing their net goals, goals scored, then head to head results (unlike the recent Euro’s) . The spreadsheet will take this into account.
- Note: Because of the complex rules to decide who progresses, we suggest players look at the resultant knockout matches and make sure they are happy with the teams progressing. If it is not what they want, they should change some of the scores.
- Once they have completed predicting the group stages, the knockout bracket stage of the tournament will auto populate and they must predict the scores in these matches.
- Note: at the knockout bracket stage of the tournament they only get points for who progresses. Predict a winner in each match (even just a 1-0) instead of a draw and penalties.
- The player must complete the knockout bracket stage of the tournament until they get to a winner.
- They must then save the file and send it back to the organizer.
Auto Predict Qatar 2022 World Cup Results
A new feature this year, for players you don’t want to have to fill in all the match results, is an auto predict button.
Key to using this is to enable the macros when the player opens the spreadsheet. As shown below it will look something like the below (1). If you want to use the buttons (2), the macros will need to be enabled.
The buttons available are:
- Random Full prediction- auto fills results in the group AND knockout phases and predicts a winner
- Random Predict Group Stages only- auto fills the group stages only. The player will then need to fill in the scores for the knockout phase all the way up to the winner.
The player can push the buttons as often as they want and each push will generate a random set of results, but based on the teams rankings.
Changing the chances of a team win with Auto Predict
As per the below image, on the ‘Rankings’ sheet in the Players spreadsheet we have included the teams and their points per the official rankings. This is what is used to forecast match results.
The bigger the difference in points between 2 teams (1 below), the more likely that the better side will win (but there is always a chance of a reverse result).
We have allowed you to change these odds by adding/ subtracting points for whatever reason (2).
For example, in red text (3) we have highlighted the teams that have previously won a World Cup, as these teams always seem to be in the mix. You may want to add some points for them.
Teams that seem to always come up short, like Belgium or Netherlands, you may want to deduct some points.
If you have a favorite team and want them to win it, add 1000 points to them and they will almost always win.
You can then go back to the ‘Player’ sheet and now when you use one of the Auto Predict buttons, it will use your new rankings.
We will update some views on what the rankings should be on a regular basis which you can copy to your spreadsheet, on 2022 World Cup Sweepstakes Predictions page.