We recently received the following question with regards our Euro 2016 Office pool Excel spreadsheet.
…. there are a few things I don’t understand about the scoring system. Particularly, “Correctly guessing the net goals and the correct way e.g. you choose 0-2 and the score is 2-4 you get points …
The point scoring for the 2016 Euro Group stages has been set out as follows, with the spreadsheet owner able to change the number of points and, if you don’t want to use a particular option, you can change it to zero. The question above relates to the last two items marked in red.
Group Stages Point Scoring for Euro 2016 Spreadsheet
- Getting the right result irrelevant of the score (i.e. win, loss, draw)
- Getting team 1’s correct number of goals (e.g. you predicted 1-1 and the count was 1-0)
- Getting team 2’s correct number of goals (e.g. you predicted 3-2 and the count was 2-2)
- Correctly guessing the net goals even if it is the wrong way (e.g. you predicted 2-0 and the result of 0-2)
- Correctly guessing the net goals and the correct way e.g. you choose 0-2 and the score is 2-4 you get points
Correctly predicting the net score and who wins the match
The idea of the last item is to reward people for predicting how many goals one team is better than the other. So if you think England are 2 goals better than Wales, you will get these points whether the score is
- England 4- Wales 2, or
- England 3- Wales 1, or
- England 2- Wales 0
You won’t get these points if there is a draw or Wales beat England.
We believe it is difficult to predict the actual number of goals that will be scored but the difference is more likely and involves more skill.
Correctly predicting the net score irrelevant of who wins the match
The second last item is more to help people keep accumulating points during the sweepstake and keep them interested. This will give you an additional point if you get the net goal difference correct no matter which way it goes.
So in the above example, if you chose England 2 Wales 0, you will get a point for any of the above scores, or the exact reverse where Wales beat England by those scores.
As mentioned above, if you don’t like these options you can change it to 0 and it will not be taken into account.