2019 Rugby World Cup Sweepstakes Spreadsheet for up to 50 players
Related: 2019 Six Nations Rugby Spreadsheet
Our 2019 Rugby World Cup Predictions Spreadsheet enables up to 50 participants to predict the group stage and knock-out matches and compete to see who can be closest in predicting the overall result and the scores of each team. The spreadsheets are ideal for anyone wanting to run a sweepstakes or Rugby World Cup pool around the results of the tournament.
Overview on how to use it
- Download from this page
- Send the input sheet to all the people who want to play
- Ask them to complete it
- Send it back to you
- Copy and Paste the predictions into the master file
- Now every time you open the file during the tournament it will automatically update the latest match scores and results and update the sweepstake scores
- Separate templates for the organiser and participants
- Participants predict the group stages and then, based on the predicted group standings, predict the knock-out results until the winner.
- Organiser updates the master template with all the predictions.
- The spreadsheet will automatically update the actual scores itself when the tournament is on, direct to the spreadsheet (no need to capture them yourself!)
- The default sweepstake scoring is as follows (you can change them if you wish as the organizer)
Rugby World Cup Group Stages Sweepstakes scoring
- Getting the right result irrelevant of the score (i.e. win, loss, draw)- 3 points
- Getting team 1’s correct number of tries (e.g. you predicted 1-1 and the try count was 1-0)- 1 point
- Getting team 2’s correct number of tries (e.g. you predicted 3-2 and the try count was 2-2)- 1 point
- Correctly predicting a bonus point( or not) for team A tries (e.g. Team A scores 5 tries and you predicted 4 or more)- 2 points
- Correctly predicting a bonus point( or not) for team B tries (e.g. Team B scores 2 tries and you predicted 4 or less)- 2 points
- Predicting that the score was within 7 points and the correct losing team will get a bonus point- 2 points
Rugby World Cup Knock-out Stages Sweepstakes scoring
- Each correct team in the Quarter Finals- 4 points
- Each correct team in the Semi Finals- 5 points
- Each Correct Team in the Finals- 6 points
- Correct winner of the 3rd/ 4th playoff- 10 points
- Correct Winner- 15 points
The spreadsheet is built in Microsoft Excel 2013 but will work in all versions with some loss of functionality if you are using Excel 2003.
Q: Is there points awarded for actually predicting the scores of the knock out games or just the teams playing?
- It is just for the teams playing. Getting the scores right does not add to the points
Q: Lastly, I put in some results just to see how it worked and I put a draw for some of the knock out games. It seemed to randomly select one of the teams to go though. How does this work?
- For the knock out matches you need to have a winner.
Q: Can you use the spreadsheet on Google Docs
- It wasn’t built with Google Docs in mind, but some users have tried it and say it works. As an idea get all the information via Excel and then upload the masterfile to Google Docs and allow the players to see what is happening. Only limitation is that it won’t automatically update so you will need update the scores
Q: Will you score points for correct team through to the finals (1/4, 1/2 and final) regardless of if the team advanced from a first or second place in the group stage? Or do you have to predict the correct placing in the group stage to score points?
- You get points for your chosen teams getting to the next stage. How they got there is not important
Q: Can you confirm that for the knockout stages, we can enter decimal places and the master file will be able to recognise that because the actual scores are going to update themselves so will it be done in a the format to give points correctly etc
- Yes, use a decimal if you want to indicate that there was a penalty shootout. See the note below about decimals though
Q: Hello. I’m having issues opening the spreadsheet on my Mac.
It gives me an error message and just opens as a “read-only” file.
How can I go about fixing this issue?
- Try and expand it out of the zip files and save it in a separate location