Euro 2016 Finals Spreadsheet
Confused about who will play who based on the third place rule? Get this spreadsheet now to see what the knockouts will look like based on different match results!
Our Euro 2016 sweepstakes spreadsheet (built in Excel) will allow you to:
- Predict the results for all the Euro 2016 group fixtures
- Assess the likely final group tables taking into account:
- the more complex tiebreaker rules for teams on the same points, and
- identify the third placed teams who will progress to the knockout stages
- Assess the likely knockout matches based on the final group tables and the third place teams taking the fixtures into account where the third place teams come from different groups
Much like the other spreadsheets we have built for other sporting events, all this is done without any VBA macros!
The spreadsheet is built in Microsoft Excel 2013 but will work in all versions with some loss of functionality if you are using Excel 2003.
Screenshots and instructions for use
As this version is only for the Euro 2016 Finals Spreadsheet (and not the sweepstakes spreadsheet) you only need to know the player rules.
Instructions for the User of the Euro 2016 Finals Spreadsheet
Watch the video clip or read the instructions below (please remember that these instructions are for the sweepstakes, so some of the items are not relevant to the purchasers of the single spreadsheets)
The steps to follow are:
- Enter your name (not critical for the standalone spreadsheet)
- Enter your predictions of the scores in the blue cells (column G and I)
- As you enter your scores the group standings in column O will be updated so that you can see who is going to progress to the next round (top 2 of each group and the 4 best 3rd placed teams).
- Note: per the competition rules, teams on the same number of points will be separated by comparing their head to head results first, before net goals and goals scored. The spreadsheet will take this into account.
- The spreadsheet will also work out the top 4 3rd placed teams and correctly place them in the knockout round.
- Note: Because of the complex rules to decide who progresses, we suggest you look at the resultant knockout matches and make sure you are happy with the teams progressing. If it is not what you want, change some of the scores.
- Once you have completed predicting the group stages, the knockout round will auto populate and you can predict the scores in these matches.
- You complete the knockout phase until you get to a winner.
- Save the file.
Q: Lastly, I put in some results just to see how it worked and I put a draw for some of the knock out games. It seemed to randomly select one of the teams to go though. How does this work?
- For the knock out matches you need to have a winner.
Q: Hello. I’m having issues opening the spreadsheet on my Mac.
It gives me an error message and just opens as a “read-only” file.
How can I go about fixing this issue?
- Try and expand it out of the zip files and save it in a separate location