Our Qatar World Cup 2022 Spreadsheet (built in Excel) has the ability to:
Update: See all our latest fun office pool sweepstake spreadsheets for sporting events
- Automatically update the actual scores when the tournament is on, direct to the spreadsheet (no need to capture them yourself!)
- World rankings included for countries you are not familiar with. This will assist you with the comparative rankings to make better predictions for the tournament
- Input your predictions and compare them to what actually happens
- See the likely group winners after adjusting your predictions for the actual results taking into account the group tiebreaker rules.
- Automatically addresses the tiebreaker rules for the 2022 world cup (points, net goals, goals for and then head to head result- unlike the Euro rules).
- Automatic update notification when new versions become available
Much like the other spreadsheets we have built for other sporting events, all this is done without any VBA macros!
The spreadsheet is built in Microsoft Excel 2016 but will work in all versions with some loss of functionality if you are using Excel 2003 or Excel for Mac's.
Screenshots and instructions for use
For the Organizer- Initial Setup
Watch the video clip or read the instructions below for how this works.
Once you purchase the spreadsheet, you will be able to download a zip file which contains 2 files as shown below.
The first file (‘2022-World-Cup-Soccer-Spreadsheet-v1-SweepstakesInput2003’) is what you need to send to the other players.
The second file (‘MASTER2022-Qatar-World-Cup-Spreadsheet-v1-Sweepstakes-upto-50_2003’) is for the organizer and is where all the predictions are saved, where the match scores are automatically updated, and the sweepstake points are compiled.
Before you send the files out, you will need to decide on the point scoring.
When you open up the ‘MASTER2022-Qatar-World-Cup-Spreadsheet-v1-Sweepstakes-upto-50_2003’ spreadsheet, and go to the instructions sheet, you will be able to decide how the points work.
As noted above you can decide on the points scored by each player for predicting certain aspects of the matches and tournament. We have inserted some defaults. Your options are:
- Getting the right result irrelevant of the score (i.e. win, loss, draw)
- Getting team 1’s correct number of goals (e.g. you predicted 1-1 and the score was 1-0)
- Getting team 2’s correct number of goals (e.g. you predicted 3-2 and the score was 2-2)
- Correctly guessing the net goals even if it is the wrong way (e.g. you predicted 2-0 i.e. a +2 margin and the result was 0-2 i.e. a -2 margin)- Depending on your feeling you may switch this off by making it zero.
- Correctly guessing the net goals and the correct way e.g. you choose 0-2 and the score is 2-4 you get points.
- Each correct team in the last 16 bracket stage of the tournament
- Each correct team in the Qtr Final bracket stage of the tournament
- Each correct team in the Semi Final bracket stage of the tournament
- Each Correct team in the 3rd place bracket stage of the tournament
- Correct 3rd Place
- Each Correct Team in the Final bracket stage of the tournament
- Correct Winner
Once you have decided this, you can inform the players of how it will work and send them the ‘2022-World-Cup-Soccer-Spreadsheet-v1-SweepstakesInput2003’ spreadsheet.
Instructions for the Players
Watch the video clip or read the instructions below
When the players receive their spreadsheets they need to make their predictions. On the ‘Player’ sheet (shown below)
- Enter their name in cell A1 (if the group has similarly named people use a unique name)
- Enter their predictions of the scores in the blue cells (column G and I)
- As they enter their scores the group standings in column O will be updated so that they can see who is going to progress to the next round (top 2 of each group).
- Note: per the competition rules, teams on the same number of points will be separated by comparing their net goals, goals scored, then head to head results (unlike the recent Euro’s) . The spreadsheet will take this into account.
- Note: Because of the complex rules to decide who progresses, we suggest they look at the resultant knockout matches and make sure they are happy with the teams progressing. If it is not what they want, they should change some of the scores.
- Once they have completed predicting the group stages, the knockout bracket stage of the tournament will auto populate and they must predict the scores in these matches.
- Note: at the knockout bracket stage of the tournament they only get points for who progresses. Predict a winner in each match (even just a 1-0) instead of a draw and penalties.
- You complete the knockout bracket stage of the tournament until you get to a winner.
- Save the file and send it back to the organiser.
Organizer- finalize the sweepstakes
Watch the video clip or read the instructions below
When the organizer receives back the spreadsheets, they need to capture the players predictions into the masterfile. This is very easy:
- Open the masterfile and the player predictions spreadsheets
- In the player predictions spreadsheet, copy from cell F9 to cell J92.
- Go to the masterfile, choose one of the open player sheets (e.g. player 1) and PASTE AS VALUES in cell T9 (it is very important you paste as values).
- In case it isn’t emphasized enough, PASTE AS VALUES.
- Do this for all the players.
- You can change the sheet names to reflect the player’s name but don’t delete any unused sheets.
Once you have done this we have included some stats which may be interesting!
On the Master spreadsheet there is a sheet called Masterfile. In column K is a summary of all the predictions made for each match. So in cell K10 it says 3-0-2 for the Qatar vs Saudi Arabia. This means that of the 5 people playing, 3 expected a Qatar win, 2 a Saudi Arabia win and 0 a draw.
There is also another sheet called Stats which shows a summary of the players predictions of who will make the various knockout rounds. So below the 5 players seem to expect the final winner to come out of Germany, Brazil and Portugal.
During the 2022 tournament
During the tournament, all you have to do is open the master spreadsheet and let it connect to the internet. We will update the match scores periodically and these will be pulled through to the spreadsheet (to see how we do this, look at the video on Importing data from the web ).
As shown below, on the Masterfile sheet, as the real scores come through the cell colours will change to show that it is an actual score.
Each player’s unique sheet on the Master spreadsheet will update as the real scores come in. You will see the matches that are finished (dotted cells), the total sweepstake points scored and a breakdown of how the points were earned.
On the ‘Overall Pnts’ sheet you can see a table ranking all the players.
On the Pnts Chart sheet you can see the players scores as the tournament progresses
Feedback from previous sweepstakes spreadsheet
Games were played all over the world for the Euro soccer and New Zealand rugby. Some feedback from a pub in New Zealand during the Rugby World Cup.
Well all finished and what a great result for us. [NEW ZEALAND WON 🙁 ]. The winner of our picks was April Barnett. We had 40 entries which was a good number.
Attached is a photo of her holding the cash in our rugby club rooms at Dunsandel. Thanks for all your help
Q: Is there points awarded for actually predicting the scores of the knockout bracket stage of the tournament or just the teams playing?
- It is just for the teams playing. Getting the scores right does not add to the points
Q: Lastly, I put in some results just to see how it worked and I put a draw for some of the knockout bracket stage of the tournament. It seemed to randomly select one of the teams to go though. How does this work?
- For the knockout bracket stage of the tournament you need to have a winner.
Q: Can you use the spreadsheet on Google Docs
- It wasn’t built with Google Docs in mind, but some users have tried it and say it works. As an idea get all the information via Excel and then upload the masterfile to Google Docs and allow the players to see what is happening. Only limitation is that it won’t automatically update so you will need update the scores
Q: Will you score points for correct team through to the bracket stage of the tournament (1/4, 1/2 and final) regardless of if the team advanced from a first or second place in the group stage? Or do you have to predict the correct placing in the group stage to score points?
- You get points for your chosen teams getting to the bracket stage of the tournament. How they got there is not important
Q: Can you confirm that for the knockout bracket stage of the tournament, we can enter decimal places and the master file will be able to recognize that because the actual scores are going to update themselves so will it be done in a the format to give points correctly etc
- Yes, use a decimal if you want to indicate that there was a penalty shootout. See the note below about decimals though
Q: Hello. I’m having issues opening the spreadsheet on my Mac.
It gives me an error message and just opens as a “read-only” file.
How can I go about fixing this issue?
- Try and expand it out of the zip files and save it in a separate location