Related: Try out the 2019 Women's World Cup in France
Our World Cup Predictions Spreadsheet enables up to 30 participants to predict the group stage and knock-out matches and compete to see who can be closest in predicting the overall result and the scores of each team. The spreadsheets are ideal for anyone wanting to run a sweepstakes or World Cup pool around the results of the group stages. In related news Excel predicts an England victory over Brazil in the finals Key Features
- Separate templates for the organiser and participants
- Participants predict the group stages and then, based on the predicted group standings, predict the knock-out results until the winner.
- Organiser updates the master template with all the predictions.
- Automatically update the actual scores when the tournament is on, direct to the spreadsheet (no need to capture them yourself!)
SUGGESTION: For the knock-out stages tell the participants to enter decimals if they think there will be a winner on penalties e.g. 1.5- 1.3 would mean that the score was 1-1 and team A won on penalties with a score of 5 to 3.
- The default sweepstake scoring is as follows (you can change them if you wish)
World Cup Group Stages Sweepstakes scoring
- Getting the right result irrelevant of the score (i.e. win, loss, draw)- 3 points
- Getting team 1’s correct score (e.g. you predicted 1-1 and the score was 1-0)- 1 point
- Getting team 2’s correct score (e.g. you predicted 3-2 and the score was 2-2)- 1 point
World Cup Knock-out Stages Sweepstakes scoring
- Each correct team in the Second Round and Quarter Finals- 4 points
- Each correct team in the Semi Finals- 5 points
- Each Correct Team in the Finals- 6 points
- Correct Winner- 15 points
- The spreadsheet is built in Microsoft Excel 2013 but will work in all versions with some loss of functionality if you are using Excel 2003.
For more instructions on how to use the spreadsheet look at the World Cup Sweepstakes Kit Instructions.
I was wondering, the points for correctly predicting the knock out stage participants say points for quarter finals, semi and final but nothing for the last 16 (second round?) is this the same as quarter final?
- Yes, this is a typo. The points for last 16 and quarters are the same
Is there points awarded for actually predicting the scores of the knock out games or just the teams playing?
- It is just for the teams playing. Getting the scores right does not add to the points
Lastly, I put in some results just to see how it worked and I put a draw for some of the knock out games. It seemed to randomly select one of the teams to go though. How does this work?
- For the knock out matches you need to have a winner. You can either choose a winning score e.g. 2-1 or else if you want to indicate a penalty shoot out, use for example 1.5- 1.3 indicating a 1-1 draw with a 5-3 penalty shoot out win.
I am using Excel 2011 on an Apple Mac and it is very slow and continually thinking.
- The version you get now by downloaded in updated but for older users the picture links on the Mac are very slow. Email us and we will send a new copy or we can tell you how to correct this.
Can you use the spreadsheet on Google Docs
- It wasn’t built with Google Docs in mind, but some users have tried it and say it works. As an idea get all the information via Excel and then upload the masterfile to Google Docs and allow the players to see what is happening. Only limitation is that it won’t automatically update so you will need update the scores
World Cup in other languages
As the World Cup is a very international event, below the translations for the words ‘Brazil 2014 World Cup Spreadsheet kit for sweepstakes or predicting the results’ into the languages of the teams involved (via Google Translate- Please email corrections if you think there is a better translation):
- Brazil, Portugal- Portuguese- Russia 2018 Spreadsheet kit Copa do Mundo para sorteios ou prever os resultados
- Spain, Argentina, Mexico, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Honduras, Uruguay – Spanish- Russia 2018 kit de hoja de cálculo de la Copa Mundial de la lotería o la predicción de los resultados
- Italy- Italian- Russia 2018 World Cup Kit foglio di calcolo per lotterie o prevedere i risultati
- France, Ivory Coast- French- Russia 2018 kit de feuille de calcul Coupe du Monde de concours ou de prédire les résultats
- Germany- Russia 2018 Spreadsheet-Kit für Gewinnspiele oder die Vorhersage der Ergebnisse
- Netherlands, Belgium- Dutch- Russia 2018 Spreadsheet kit voor prijsvragen of het voorspellen van de resultaten
- Croatia- Croatian- Russia 2018 Svjetski kup proračunske tablice set za nagradne igre ili predviđanje rezultata
- Algeria- Arabic- البرازيل كأس العالم 2014 جدول لعدة اليانصيب أو توقع النتائج
- Bosnia- Bosnian- Russia 2018 World Cup tabele kit za nagradne igre ili predviđanje rezultata
- Greece- Greek- Βραζιλία 2014 Παγκόσμιο Κύπελλο kit υπολογιστικού φύλλου για τις κληρώσεις ή πρόβλεψης των αποτελεσμάτων
- Japan- Japanese- ブラジル2014懸賞や結果を予測するためのワールドカップスプレッドキット
- Korea Republic- Korean- 브라질 2014 복권이나 결과를 예측 월드컵 스프레드 시트 키트
- Russia- Russian- Бразилия ЧМ-2014 таблица комплект для тотализаторов или предсказания результатов
- Norway- Russland 2018 Spreadsheet Kit World Cup for konkurranser eller forutsi resultater